• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a Banquet Hall Sue Me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DeeMarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I called a local restaurant about 4 months ago to inquire about renting their space for a party. After being told the party room only accomodated 38 people, I told them that IF I was interested, I would stop by on the week and leave a deposit and sign a contract. After doing a head count of guests, which was well over 80, I decided against it. I never went back, no contract was signed, no deposit was ever left. Now all of the sudden, I'm getting these nasty "reminder" calls that my party is booked for this weekend and they will have no food for us if I don't call them immediately. I never signed a contract or left a deposit and I never verbally agreed to definately have the party. Can they sue me?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

sandyclaus

No Contract = No Obligation

I called a local restaurant about 4 months ago to inquire about renting their space for a party. After being told the party room only accomodated 38 people, I told them that IF I was interested, I would stop by on the week and leave a deposit and sign a contract. After doing a head count of guests, which was well over 80, I decided against it. I never went back, no contract was signed, no deposit was ever left. Now all of the sudden, I'm getting these nasty "reminder" calls that my party is booked for this weekend and they will have no food for us if I don't call them immediately. I never signed a contract or left a deposit and I never verbally agreed to definately have the party. Can they sue me?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The hall has had 4 months to get you or someone else to commit to booking the hall for this weekend, and since no one else has, they have decided to try and hard-sell you and guilt you into it.

You have no legal liability or obligation here. No signed contract exists, no deposit changed hands to reserve the hall. It's the hall's fault for assuming that you would take the booking without securing the deposit to seal and confirm the deal. Should they choose to sue you, they will lose their case.

BL

Why would they be nasty ?

Why couldn't you simply pick up the phone and kindly tell them you NEVER committed.

Or , for that matter , why couldn't you simply pick up the phone when you decided against it , just to let them know as a courtesy ?

In any event, you got your legal answer ,even if it's homework .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">