• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the bride sue for dress costs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hayleesimms

Indiana
So, my best friend is getting married, originally it was supposed to be in August but I'm January she decided to move it up to the beginning of May which forced us all to order our dresses a few days after she told us she moved it up, paid in full by the way. So she picked out this 200 dollar dress, and I couldn't pay for it, I was in school and living in my own and had too many bills to pay that on such short notice. So she offered to pay and it was fine. So I am the maid of honor, and her aunt took away my privledge of planning the bachelorette party, which was fine since we would all be there anyways. Well she ended up having a bachelorette party with everyone else in the wedding party except me! Because since she moved up her wedding I wasn't 21 yet. So they all go to a bar and made it a big secret so that I wouldn't know, which she admitted, and she was being extremely rude to me when I confronted her about it NICELY. She got really defensive and started attacking me, So I told her she could find a new maid of honor, and she said she will take me to small claims court for the cost of the dress, which she has in her possession since day 1. Can she do that?

STEPHAN

Sure. You can sue almost everybody for anything. Will she win? Probably not, but this depends a lot on what agreements were made.

Silverplum

Big-wedding brides tend to get a little crazy. :rolleyes: She likely will not sue you: she's too busy. I hope you find a better friend.

quincy

Indiana
So, my best friend is getting married, originally it was supposed to be in August but I'm January she decided to move it up to the beginning of May which forced us all to order our dresses a few days after she told us she moved it up, paid in full by the way. So she picked out this 200 dollar dress, and I couldn't pay for it, I was in school and living in my own and had too many bills to pay that on such short notice. So she offered to pay and it was fine. So I am the maid of honor, and her aunt took away my privledge of planning the bachelorette party, which was fine since we would all be there anyways. Well she ended up having a bachelorette party with everyone else in the wedding party except me! Because since she moved up her wedding I wasn't 21 yet. So they all go to a bar and made it a big secret so that I wouldn't know, which she admitted, and she was being extremely rude to me when I confronted her about it NICELY. She got really defensive and started attacking me, So I told her she could find a new maid of honor, and she said she will take me to small claims court for the cost of the dress, which she has in her possession since day 1. Can she do that?
Did you have the dress "sized" to fit you? If so, it might not be returnable. Was the dress special-ordered from a store that normally does not carry the dress? If so, it might not be returnable. In either of those cases, and depending on the terms of your oral agreement with the bride, you could be held liable for the cost of the dress if the bride decides to sue. With luck, the bride has better things to do with her time and energy.

If the dress was not sized to fit you and/or was not a special order, the bride should be able to return the dress for a refund, eliminating any need to sue.

I think that brides and grooms who expect their attendants to spend a lot of money for the "honor" of appearing at their weddings are silly. They are ignoring the fact that weddings should be a celebration of love between two people with those who mean the most to them. The weddings with expensive get-away trips to exotic places for pre-wedding parties or for the weddings, that expect those "fortunate" enough to be included as a good friend and invitee to foot the costs, can be a mistake that grows resentment among those who feel obligated to attend. My opinion only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">