• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a finder of lost property do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rm152008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Some guy found my wallet and contacted me to return it to me free of charge. Unfortunately right before he contacted me I had offered a reward in the local paper. Before we could meet up he found out about the reward. Now he is refusing to return my wallet to me unless I give him the reward money, even though he had already offered to return it to me free of charge. Can he do this?
What recourse do I have? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

tranquility

The hornbook (aka black letter law) would say no, he can't do that. But, if you were going to pay the money to get it back, why don't you pay the money to get it back. Do you really want to go to court over this?

Quite frankly, I suspect homework rather than a real world problem, but, that's just me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">