• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he keep the car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tinsleyfam5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I recently lost my best friend and was awarded custody of her son here in Virginia. She did not have a will so I went to probate with the help of her (my friend) parents to try and retrieve her SUV from her sister. I was made the administrator and was told I could take the paper to her sister and she would have to turn the car over. After going to the DMV and having the title and registration put in my name with no problem or liens. I went to get the car and found she had tried to sell it to a small dealership without a title. I went to him and explained exactly what had happened and that her sister had no legal rights to anything with the car. He refused to turn the car over and said we have to pay him 800 for work he'd done on the car and a total of 2500 to get the car back. He show us a work order that had My best friends name on it and claimed she had him do the work. When my best friend died her car was at her home. Her sister drove it to her funeral and also drove it several months after her death. I decided to file a civil suit. The day after I did so he was served and it had my address on the paperwork. He then put a mechanics lien on the vehicle and I received a letter today. Do I have a case? and is he illegally charging me more than the average storage fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">