• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he sue me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pennybroke

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I hired a plumber that is a relative of my wifes to do the ground work in my new house before they poured the basement floor. After a week and a half it still was not done so I fired him and had another plumber finish the work. I then found out that the wrong materila was being used and this plumber had to re-do the work previously done. I am disputing the bill given to me by the first plumber. With no written contract between us, this was to be a cash deal. I am settling for 1/2 his bill. Can he sue me for the other half since we had no written contract? I'm paying half only because he is my wife's relative. I don't feel he should get anything. I have pictures and documentation and statements in case he thinks he has a case, but I was wondering if he shouldn't take the money and run because he has nothing from me in writting in reguards to the job at all.
Thank you

JETX

"Can he sue me for the other half since we had no written contract?"
*** Of course he can sue you. Anyone can sue anyone else over anything. And the fact that the contract was verbal is irrelevant.

"I'm paying half only because he is my wife's relative. I don't feel he should get anything."
*** Then don't pay him anything. Use the promise of 1/2 payment (which you are already agreeable to) to settle the full payment. Simply, I owe you nothing.... but considering the relationship, I will offer 1/2 of your bill in full settlement. Take it or leave it. Do this in writing.

"I have pictures and documentation and statements in case he thinks he has a case, but I was wondering if he shouldn't take the money and run because he has nothing from me in writting in reguards to the job at all."
*** No one can tell you what he might or might not do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">