• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he take back a gift?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trina6260

What is the name of your state? Maryland

In March 2004 my fiance at the time bought me a 65" WideScreen TV. He was living in my home. 8mths ago we split up and he moved out. Never did he say anything about the TV. Him and I still talked on/off and tried working things out again, but he never moved back in. Last week I caught him cheating and told him I had had enough, that all I wanted was closure and for our relationship to be a part of the past. Today he sends me a text message telling me that he wants to come pick up the TV. The TV that he bought for me! Can he take back a gift like that? He says that he can because he has the receipt. But he hasnt lived here in 8mths and never said anything like that until I said I want it to be over. I know hes only doing it out of spite. I told him he wasnt taking it out of my house because its mine, so he said he will just take me to court. Can he take back a gift??

BL

trina6260 said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

In March 2004 my fiance at the time bought me a 65" WideScreen TV. He was living in my home. 8mths ago we split up and he moved out. Never did he say anything about the TV. Him and I still talked on/off and tried working things out again, but he never moved back in. Last week I caught him cheating and told him I had had enough, that all I wanted was closure and for our relationship to be a part of the past. Today he sends me a text message telling me that he wants to come pick up the TV. The TV that he bought for me! Can he take back a gift like that? He says that he can because he has the receipt. But he hasnt lived here in 8mths and never said anything like that until I said I want it to be over. I know hes only doing it out of spite. I told him he wasnt taking it out of my house because its mine, so he said he will just take me to court. Can he take back a gift??
In 8 months the statutes of Limitations has NOT run out to file suite .

He does have the receipt and a good chance of some monetary recovery .

You say you want it over and done with ?

But yet you want something out of it . Give it to him , with a signed receipt that he accepted the TV - Serial # , in good working order , and upon receiving the TV , it relieves you of any further obligations of the same from you .

A TV is not an engagement ring .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">