• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can He take the Vehicle off my property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hurt soul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire
i was sued for not finishing a frame repair on a truck,i lost the suit and am required to pay full value of the truck$9,000.00...the truck is still in my driveway and has been for 3 years...the owner now wants to come get the truck...do i have to return the truck since i am responsible to pay full value of the vehicle...he was awarded the case 30 days ago...i was going to sell it to pay for some of the suit i now owe...just wondering what my rights are,as i was told bye a friend he is coming with police and a wrecker tomorrow morning...thanx in advance...i wasnt able to finish the truck do to injuries that occured after i started the work...i lost the suit because i couldnt make it to court and even though i called the court they wouldnt continue the hearing...thanx in advance for any advice on my right to not allow him to take said vehicle...im lost and dont know what my rights are and really need some help...i am not a buisness owner,all i was doing was trying to help a freind fix his car and he turned on me...:(:(

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire
i was sued for not finishing a frame repair on a truck,i lost the suit and am required to pay full value of the truck$9,000.00...the truck is still in my driveway and has been for 3 years...the owner now wants to come get the truck...do i have to return the truck since i am responsible to pay full value of the vehicle...
Do you have to return the vehicle? Possibly. What did the court say?

he was awarded the case 30 days ago...i was going to sell it to pay for some of the suit i now owe...just wondering what my rights are ...
If you are not the title holder, you cannot sell the truck to pay the judgment. It is not yours to sell unless or until you become the title holder.

... as i was told bye a friend he is coming with police and a wrecker tomorrow morning...
If the truck is not yours, the owner of the vehicle can come with the police and a wrecker to retrieve the vehicle, absent the court saying something contrary. What did the court say?

... i wasnt able to finish the truck do to injuries that occured after i started the work...i lost the suit because i couldnt make it to court and even though i called the court they wouldnt continue the hearing...
Three years is an awfully long time to keep someone's vehicle. If you were injured and you knew you would be unable to work on the truck, you should have informed the owner of this and had him pick up the truck at that time, so the truck could be worked on elsewhere. I understand that bit of advice does you little good now.

I am sorry you were unable to make it to court but I am not sure the court would have decided differently had you been present.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">