• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

navycracker

What is the name of your state?
Washington

I recently bought a 1968 VW Beetle (from a private seller) that broke down (major oil leak) when I got on the highway after leaving his house. When I tried to give the car back and get my money back, him and his father disagreed and gave me their word they would fix it (they even told me I could take them to small claims court if they didn_t fix it). They turned it into a shop and then went to Arizona to visit family. They were not there when I had to pick it up and the shop was closed, but it was still leaking oil from the same spot and there was hardly any oil in the car to begin with. When I called them after they got back they told me that the guy didn_t fix what they told him to fix. I told them I would get an estimate to see what it would cost to get if fixed and they said that was fine.

I then took it to get an estimate to get it fixed and when I presented the seller with the price, they said they were not going to fix it because their mechanic told them there was no leak and that he fixed it. They don_t want to hear about it anymore and they said that it_s fixed. It_s not fixed and the mechanic I took it to said that it_s nothing that I did and that he doesn_t understand why the other mechanic would fix what he fixed and not the actual problem.

Can I take these guys to small claims court and is it even worth the time? I would have to drive another 185 miles (that_s where I bought the car from), and they say they have in writing that it wasn_t leaking when their mechanic was finished working on it. Two things that might be against me are that I didn_t test drive it and I didn_t get anything in writing.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

“God invented paragraphs and sentences to make written communication easier by breaking up major ideas into smaller chunks. Try using them sometime. One long unbroken string of words is hard to read.”

--DebtGuy

Standard answer on long and/or rambling posts:

Cut it in half

Use paragraphs

Leave out editorial comments

Ask three questions

Do not use all caps...it is excessively rude and equivalent to shouting in someone’s ear.

Use standard English.

You will be more likely to get someone to help you if you do this.

JETX

navycracker said:
Can I take these guys to small claims court
Yes, you can. After all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything.

and is it even worth the time?
No. You have NO case against them. You should have had the vehicle checked by a qualified mechanic BEFORE you purchased it. Google 'caveat emptor'.[/QUOTE]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">