• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I amend the amount I am suing for before going to court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SkylaJean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California (Los Angeles)

I am suing someone for money owed and I realized that I filed for the wrong amount. I wanted to amend the amount to a lessor amount. Is that possible? What do I need to do before going to court to correct the amount? Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California (Los Angeles)

I am suing someone for money owed and I realized that I filed for the wrong amount. I wanted to amend the amount to a lessor amount. Is that possible? What do I need to do before going to court to correct the amount? Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
Usually, you have to prove the amount you sue for is accurate in view of the damages. Therefore, you really don't have to amend the amount, you can simply show proof that a lesser amount is adequate once you get to a hearing on such matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">