• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I appear behind the bar in Small Claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCDave

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My daughter is summons to Small Claims court to defend against a third party debt collector. She is extremely emotional about this and is fearful to go. :eek: I have helped her with her answer and affirmative defenses. Can I appear as a Next Friend with her or can a Power of Attorney be used for this matter so I may speak on her behalf? :confused:

justalayman

a power of attorney does not allow you to act as an attorney. If you want somebody to speak for her, I would suggest hiring an actual attorney.

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My daughter is summons to Small Claims court to defend against a third party debt collector. She is extremely emotional about this and is fearful to go. :eek: I have helped her with her answer and affirmative defenses. Can I appear as a Next Friend with her or can a Power of Attorney be used for this matter so I may speak on her behalf? :confused:
Not unless you are an attorney licensed to practice in Illinois.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">