• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I change the amount I am suing for...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitchelt

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I already files the court papers for small claims court and stated an amount.

The problem is that defendant and his family are making it difficult to serve him, they are basically hiding him from the Sheriff.

Anyway, I now have to hire a private serving company to serve him, they said they WILL get the job done, even if they have to covertly monitor the guys house all day and night (yes, I finally found where he is, in one of his parents rental homes), well this is going to cost more than the normal $25 fee.

Am I supposed to present the court with an itemized list of items I am suing for (I think I should) and what happens if it does not match the $ value of the papers I originally submitted?

Thanks!

Mitch

BL

You should be able to request from the clerk of the court an "amendment" to the amount.

You would have to have the party served with the amended petition ( not the orig. ) in a timely matter before the court date.

Ask the Court clerk.

Last edited:

stephenk

There is no need to amend your complaint. The cost of serving the defendant is not part of your original claim.

If you win your case, the court will order the defendant to also pay court costs, ie. filing fees and process serving fees.

just get the defendant served and then win your case.

mitchelt

Thanks for the help!

stephenk...that is this weeks project:

- I have a process server that is willing to camp out in his car if necessary. His family protected him from the Sherrif, but this guy will not stop.
- I have photos of the guy, so he knows what he looks like, I did not have this for the Sherrif.

We WILL get him, and to tell you the truth, I'm fine if it takes a year or more to get the money, I just want him to realize that you cannot screw people over and think you can get away with it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">