• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I change a payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biggie

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I was being taken to court for not paying a bill to a water service. Instead of going to court I agreed to pay 20.00 a month. I got hurt andlost my job and couldn't keep the payments up, and I got a summons to go to court for non payment. Before the court date I got disability and caught my payments up, I've told the attorney that I can only afford 10.00 a month with disability but he says if I miss another 20.00 payment, he will take me in front of the judge. Is there any way I could get the case back in front of the judge to have the payment lowered?

JETX

biggie said:
Is there any way I could get the case back in front of the judge to have the payment lowered?
No. The courts don't 'negotiate' payment plans. They only hear the issues and render a judgment accordingly.

S

seniorjudge

biggie said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
I was being taken to court for not paying a bill to a water service. Instead of going to court I agreed to pay 20.00 a month. I got hurt andlost my job and couldn't keep the payments up, and I got a summons to go to court for non payment. Before the court date I got disability and caught my payments up, I've told the attorney that I can only afford 10.00 a month with disability but he says if I miss another 20.00 payment, he will take me in front of the judge. Is there any way I could get the case back in front of the judge to have the payment lowered?
How much have you paid total in the last twelve months?

Is this a municipal water company or a privately-owned water company?

biggie

Can I change my payment

Illinois

This is to the gentleman that responded to my question
The original bill was 490.00, I had paid 80.00 over 4 months then didn't pay for 3 months, now I gave him 170.00 in the last month so the balance is 240.00. This is a private water service for bottled water and water softeners.

BL

So pay them as agreed , or face a Judgment in court .

And No , you can't take them to Court to get a Payment order .

They can take you for the balance though .

JETX

seniorjudge said:
How much have you paid total in the last twelve months?

Is this a municipal water company or a privately-owned water company?
Just curious... what do either of those questions have to do with the subject??

S

seniorjudge

JETX said:
Just curious... what do either of those questions have to do with the subject??
Just grasping for straws....I thought that just maybe that we were dealing with an investor-owned water utility. They are pretty touchy about stuff like this and if the guy had paid a substantial amount, some PR guy in the water company would maybe give him a break.

It was a real longshot and, of course, did not even come close!

Oh...well....

BUT, investor-owned utilities (those regulated by the utilities commission) are really touchy about this stuff. A well-placed call to customer service representatives often works wonders!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">