• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I charge interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unpaidstudent

I live in Orange County, CA.
I am owed unpaid wages from a tutoring company that I no longer work for, he way for me to get paid is for my timesheets to be reviewed by school districts, who then approve the money be given to the tutoring company and then my tutoring company pays me. The company owner had "computer issues" and was given an extension on submitting the paperwork. Well as it so happens, she told me the truth that she didnt tell the school district. I have all the paperwork that is needed to start and finish my claim but I wonder, can I charge interest for these weeks that have gone by? I quit back in May because of the heads up she gave me. I have been communicating with the owner and with the district and if I remember correctly, the district cleared our paperwork back in July so now I'm assuming, my paycheck is being held hostage!?!?! I somehow have the feeling the owner of the tutoring company is off on some island spending my money and other tutors' money but what do I know right? :confused: Oh and it also could be because I havent spoken to her since August. I worked for the company in February through May. I got have of what I was owed from working those months around June. She said she woulld pay me the rest when she got my district's paperwork cleared.

I hate for being so trusting with such a company.

Antigone*

I live in Orange County, CA.
I am owed unpaid wages from a tutoring company that I no longer work for, he way for me to get paid is for my timesheets to be reviewed by school districts, who then approve the money be given to the tutoring company and then my tutoring company pays me. The company owner had "computer issues" and was given an extension on submitting the paperwork. Well as it so happens, she told me the truth that she didnt tell the school district. I have all the paperwork that is needed to start and finish my claim but I wonder, can I charge interest for these weeks that have gone by? I quit back in May because of the heads up she gave me. I have been communicating with the owner and with the district and if I remember correctly, the district cleared our paperwork back in July so now I'm assuming, my paycheck is being held hostage!?!?! I somehow have the feeling the owner of the tutoring company is off on some island spending my money and other tutors' money but what do I know right? :confused: Oh and it also could be because I havent spoken to her since August. I worked for the company in February through May. I got have of what I was owed from working those months around June. She said she woulld pay me the rest when she got my district's paperwork cleared.

I hate for being so trusting with such a company.
You cannot charge interest as it was not part of any agreement you had with the person who owes you money. However, if you sue and win, interest will apply on the judgement going forward at the stautory amount which I believe is 10%.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">