• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i dispute a credit card charge that i willingly made for a friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gv80

I am in california and my friend is in Iowa.

Here is my question. I told the manager of a apartment complex where my friend lives to charge the rent to my credit card. And they did. This was around 20 days ago. I also paid the money to credit card company for these charges.

My friend had promised me (spoken agreement and not written) that she will pay me back with in few days. But she is stalling now and has stopped returning my calls. She lives in another state. So I have no means of talking to her.

I have never lived at that apartment complex. The rental lease is in her name.

My question is can I dispute this credit card charge now and get my money back even though I had authorized (over phone) apartment complex people to charge my card.

Also if I asked the apartment complex to return my money back since I dont really live there, would they be obliged to do it?

Any other suggestions besides going to small claims court on how I can get my money back.

thanx

stephenk

you cannot dispute the charge since you authorized the charge in the first place. your remedy is no longer allow your friend's rent to be charged to your card. then sue your friend in small claims court for the money owed on the card.

gv80

What state do I file small claims case in?

I am in california. The friend in question is in Iowa.

So if I go to small claims court, where do I file the case?
Can I do it in my county (in california) or where she lives (iowa)?

Thanx

S

seniorjudge

gv80 said:
I am in california. The friend in question is in Iowa.

So if I go to small claims court, where do I file the case?
Can I do it in my county (in california) or where she lives (iowa)?

Thanx
File it in the county where she lives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">