• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i be found not guilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Thank you very much. I appreciate the actual answer without any lackluster humour or obvious brainless statements added in. So may i ask what stay of prosecution is for anyone knowlagable about the phrase?
To "stay" means to stop or suspend. When there is a stay of prosecution, there is a stopping or suspending of the legal action. The legal action is (generally) not dismissed with a stay of prosecution but instead it is temporarily delayed, generally until some act is done or condition is met by one or both of the parties. Once the act is done or the condition met, the proceeding will continue.

In your described situation, IF you are offered diversion, you will not be prosecuted for the crime immediately. You could be prosecuted at a later time, if you do not fulfill the terms and conditions set out for you by the prosecutor and judge. If you do not fulfill the terms and conditions of the diversion program, you will be back in court to be prosecuted on the original theft charge.

I recommend you have an attorney in your area assist you, tjackson000. Good luck.

tjackson000

To "stay" means to stop or suspend. When there is a stay of prosecution, there is a stopping or suspending of the legal action. The legal action is (generally) not dismissed with a stay of prosecution but instead it is temporarily delayed, generally until some act is done or condition is met by one or both of the parties. Once the act is done or the condition met, the proceeding will continue.

In your described situation, IF you are offered diversion, you will not be prosecuted for the crime immediately. You could be prosecuted at a later time, if you do not fulfill the terms and conditions set out for you by the prosecutor and judge. If you do not fulfill the terms and conditions of the diversion program, you will be back in court to be prosecuted on the original theft charge.

I recommend you have an attorney in your area assist you, tjackson000. Good luck.
Thank you very much. I will take your advice.

tjackson000

Yes you are.

My friend, his brother and i were using one cart. In self check out, I paid for my things and my friend was stuffing my bags with his things as his brother watched and stood still. And then my friend started leaving before i was even done paying for my things. We were all stopped at the front of the store and arrested. My friend's brother was let go and my friend and i went off to jail. We were not charged in consort. Is it possible for me to go free if my friend tells them that he was stealing those things for himself and not be convicted of petty theft or at least get the charge expunged if i plead guilty?

You were just as involved with the theft as your friends were but you want to find some way to get yourself out of facing the consequences. That is a Get Out Of Jail Free card. You knew EXACTLY what your friend was doing and you were going right along with it so you are just as guilty as he is of shoplifting. Deal with it. :rolleyes:
Okay.. Thank you sir.. you can go whenever..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">