• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get my car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JamieGee

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Ok, here's the deal. When I was engaged, my fiance co-signed on a car loan for me. Since then we have broken up and I have an Order of Protection against him. While we were together he lost his job and I was supporting him, paying his bills, my bills, and joint bills. I was so deep in the hole when I left him that I sold my engagement ring (which I was making the payments on). He now refuses to sign over the car title unless I give him the ring (that I paid for most of). I have since paid off the car, but my insurance company is requiring me to keep him on the policy and the card even though I just got married. They told me that HE will get a check if anything happens to my car. Can I sue him to force him to sign over the car title? I have made every payment on the car. I don't really care about the other money I paid for him, I just need his name off my car.

T

Tercr6

i don't know about illinoise,but Here one only needs to be on the insurance policy,if there living in the home w/ a valid drivers license.
Is the order of protection still valid ? Can you prove he no longer lives w/ you ?
Do you have the car ? I take it you do, if your paying insurance.
Can you show you have made all the payments ,and the car is paid off ?
Try consulting an attorney for a one time fee of $50.00 or so. He/she could send a letter to try recover the title.
I would think, if nessesary take him to court,to either force the title over ,or recover your payments.
If your succesful in recovering the title,once in your name,you could show the insurance CO., he no longer lives with you,no longer has title,and they should be required to take him off,otherwise once the title is soleley in your name switch insurance companies,with you only !!

J

JamieGee

I have the car, and we never lived together. He only did it to help me because I needed a car. The order is still valid. I have all the cancelled checks and the final letter from the bank releasing the car. Thanks for your help.

T

Tercr6

Did the bank release it to you ,as yours ? If so send to DMV for a title in your name . Have you called DMV on this ?
Sounds like he's holding a title for a car that's not his,for ransom of the ring.
Call DMV,see if you can get a title in your name,and if so how ?

JETX

As expected, 'Tecr' has no idea what he is talking about. From his very poor grammar skills, it appears that he works at one of those new McDonald's with internet access and is writing between customers placing orders.

So, lets go back to your original post and answer correctly:
"I was so deep in the hole when I left him that I sold my engagement ring (which I was making the payments on)."
*** This might be your first problem. Did the 'ex' pay ANYTHING on this ring (down payment, etc.)??? Is the store receipt in YOUR name, his name or both?? Some states considering an engagement ring to be a 'conditional gift' and subject to return to the owner in the event the 'condition' (marriage) doesn't occur. Also, do you have a receipt for the ring sale to prove that it was in fact sold??

"He now refuses to sign over the car title unless I give him the ring (that I paid for most of)."
*** Ah, you "paid for most of". That would imply that he MIGHT have a claim for ownership (or partial ownership).

"Can I sue him to force him to sign over the car title?"
*** Maybe. How EXACTLY does the title read?? Are both names listed on it?? Does it have your name 'AND' his, or your name 'OR' his?? If it has the word 'or' between the two names, then you have the right to sign or transfer the title without his signature or permission. If it has the word AND between the two names, then you will have to make a decision. If the value of the vehicle is within your state small claim limits ($5k in Illinois), then you can ONLY file for monetary damages in that court. If you want to sue to force him to transfer the title, you will need an attorney to help you file in a higher court.

For information on Illinois Small Claims, click on:
http://209.174.123.120/consumer/smlclaims.htm

T

Tercr6

As expected, 'Tecr' has no idea what he is talking about. From his very poor grammar skills, it appears that he works at one of those new McDonald's with internet access and is writing between customers placing orders

Jetx,this site has a diclaimer,and states this site is for advice.If you need legal advice seek an attorney.

Kindly,keep you snid remarks to yourself.The posters do not just read "your replies" only. You must think your something else .

I suppose i could sue you for slander !!

JETX

"Jetx,this site has a diclaimer,and states this site is for advice.If you need legal advise seek an attorney."
*** It is spelled 'disclaimer'. And you are almost correct. It says that this site is for
"intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues". Since your answers are virtually all incorrect, you clearly have NO legal knowledge or education. You also have no 'experience' of the matters you are posting. And the proper term is 'legal advice', not legal advise.

"Kindly,keep you snid remarks to yourself.The poster do not just read "your replies" only."
*** The correct word is 'snide'. And, of course you are correct in that the poster doesn't have to read 'my posts' only. But they shouldn't have to be subjected to just your error filled posts, either.

"You must think your something else ."
*** Yep. Proud as a stallion standing guard over a new-born colt!!

"I suppose i could sue you for slander !!"
*** Guess what.... WRONG again. You have no claim for slander... and slander is an oral defamation, not written!! And you haven't been damaged. Also, the TRUTH is the ultimate defense against a claim of defamation!!

slander
n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another, which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed.

Damn, with this 100% error rate, are you sure you are typing your name correctly???

T

Tercr6

You agree that you will NOT use the FreeAdvice Forum to post any advertisement, chain letter, solicitation or other commercial message. You agree that you will NOT post any knowingly false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, or threatening message. You agree you will NOT post material that is illegally invasive of another person's privacy. You agree NOT to post any other person's copyrighted material. You agree to pay FreeAdvice $250 for each posting that violates such terms and conditions.

I hope this clears things up for JETX !!

JETX

Okay, now that you have learned how to 'cut-and-paste' text into a post, what do you plan to do with this new 'talent'???
Do you think the manager at McDonald's will promote you off the french fry vat??? Gee, we all hope so.
:D :D :D

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">