• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get my money back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edtrooper

What is the name of your state? New York
About 3 years ago while my sister was married I loaned her and her husband $3,500 to buy a used car. The check was made out to my sister's husband. They paid me back about $500 then they got separated and eventually divorced. They stopped paying me back. My sister's ex-husband has the car they bought with the money. I contacted him about 3 months ago about paying me back and he said that he would send me what he could, a little bit every month. He has yet to send me anything and now is not returning my phone calls. I have text messages where he said he would pay me back and where he stated that he has already sent me money (which he has not done). In the divorce papers it states that the two of them are to take all existing bills in their respective names with them after the divorce papers. Is this something that I could take him to small claims court for or am I out $3,000?

BL

What is the name of your state? New York
About 3 years ago while my sister was married I loaned her and her husband $3,500 to buy a used car. The check was made out to my sister's husband. They paid me back about $500 then they got separated and eventually divorced. They stopped paying me back. My sister's ex-husband has the car they bought with the money. I contacted him about 3 months ago about paying me back and he said that he would send me what he could, a little bit every month. He has yet to send me anything and now is not returning my phone calls. I have text messages where he said he would pay me back and where he stated that he has already sent me money (which he has not done). In the divorce papers it states that the two of them are to take all existing bills in their respective names with them after the divorce papers. Is this something that I could take him to small claims court for or am I out $3,000?
Yes you can .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">