• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I go to small claims for wedding rings?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swen

California. When I had filed for divorce last year, my ex had taken my engagement and wedding rings out of my drawer while I was at work, and he had left his in replacement. Our divorce was finalized this past May, and in it it says that my rings were my property and his ring was his property. When asked to return them, he's always very evasive. I have a feeling he might have given the rings to his new wife. Can I take him to small claims court for my rings since it's stated in our court order that they were my sole property? What if he says he doesn't have them? I still have his and am more than willing to return it to him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California. When I had filed for divorce last year, my ex had taken my engagement and wedding rings out of my drawer while I was at work, and he had left his in replacement. Our divorce was finalized this past May, and in it it says that my rings were my property and his ring was his property. When asked to return them, he's always very evasive. I have a feeling he might have given the rings to his new wife. Can I take him to small claims court for my rings since it's stated in our court order that they were my sole property? What if he says he doesn't have them? I still have his and am more than willing to return it to him.
Yes, you can. And he can countersue for the value of his rings. You can't force him to give them back to you in small claims court though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">