• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be legally held responsible for property damage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aria4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was at a small party and I opened a bottle of champagne in the kitchen of the home I was visiting. There was a laptop open in the vicinity of the kitchen and the champagne sprayed all over the laptop by accident. The owner of the laptop says I am at fault and wants me to pay for a new one since the laptop was ruined by the champagne. I feel the laptop should not have been left open in such a vulnerable place. Can I be legally held responsible if sued in court?
I happened to be the one opening it, but anyone could have opened a bottle with similar results. Where can I research this type of law? Thank you in advance for any feedback.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I was at a small party and I opened a bottle of champagne in the kitchen of the home I was visiting. There was a laptop open in the vicinity of the kitchen and the champagne sprayed all over the laptop by accident. The owner of the laptop says I am at fault and wants me to pay for a new one since the laptop was ruined by the champagne. I feel the laptop should not have been left open in such a vulnerable place. Can I be legally held responsible if sued in court?
I happened to be the one opening it, but anyone could have opened a bottle with similar results. Where can I research this type of law? Thank you in advance for any feedback.
You should have paid closer attention to your surroundings and watched where to pointed the open bottle of champagne. Had you done so, you would have aimed it in another direction, or used more care when you opened the bottle.

You can ABSOLUTELY be held liable for damage to the laptop due to your negligence. However, your liability is NOT for the cost of a new laptop. You can only be held liable for the DEPRECIATED value of the existing laptop prior to causing the damage. The owner will have to prove when they purchased it. Keep in mind that technology loses a great deal of value even over a year of having it.

cyjeff

Agreed.

Your position is akin to one we get every year around this time. People open a bottle of champagne and hit someone and wonder if they are responsible for injuries to that person.

The answer is yes. The answer becomes Hell Yes if you were trying for a dramatic "pop" for the cork.

Get the exact model and date of purchase of the laptop and pay the depreciated value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">