• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I only sue the owners, not the driver?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gatormom1984

What is the name of your state? Florida

A young man backed out of a parking space and hit the back corner of my van. He has no insurance. He said he bought the truck he was driving, but the title didn't get switched over. The previous owners cancelled insurance on the truck, but allowed him to continue using the license plate. They also didn't file any paperwork with the state, so the title is still in their names. There is a police report that cites the young man for the accident, no insurance, and no valid drivers license. I have insurance, but don't want to place a claim because the damage is only slightly more than the deductible, and my rates will go up. I've sent 2 letters to the official owners and haven't gotten any response, so I'm headed for small claims court. My question is: Can I only sue the official owners (who own property, so it's likely that I could collect) for the damages, or do I also have to sue the driver (who is a day worker, and doesn't own anything)?

JETX

gatormom1984 said:
Can I only sue the official owners (who own property, so it's likely that I could collect) for the damages, or do I also have to sue the driver (who is a day worker, and doesn't own anything)?
You can sue anyone you want. The court will determine if the owner has any liability to you (wanna' bet which way the court will rule??).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">