• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I put a contractors lien on a property if its under a different LLC,?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ghurty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I have a customer that owes me about $12K for work done on his business premises. I am going to go place a contractors lien. However, I did a search on his property, and I believe it is owned by a different LLC which he owns as well (probably for tax reasons). Will I still be able to put a lien?

Thank you

adjusterjack

Seems to me that the person with whom you contracted is the "de facto" owner of the property regardless of the entity through which he owns the property.

Unfortunately, the lien statute isn't clear on that issue so I suggest you carefully study the statute because you have some complex obligations that go along with your ability to file a lien.

The lien itself doesn't get you any money and you have to file suit within a certain amount of time anyway or you forfeit your rights and could end up paying somebody else's attorney fees.

The statute starts at Section 2A:44A-1:

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2015/title-2a/

If you are not experienced with filing and properly following up on liens I strongly suggest you consult an attorney and make sure you get it right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">