• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I Really go to court over this

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmil

What is the name of your state? Florida

My son(19) was working on a model airplane on his friends wood table that was covered with newspaper. Acetone leaked through a cup and took the varnish off the table the size of the bottom of the cup. The table was 4 or 5 months old. Three weeks prior to that this same friend broke the door handle off my sons car that is ten years old. To replace the door handle is $250.00 the cost of the table $320.00. My son said he would pay the differnece. The mother of the friend found out and said her son wasn't paying anything and my son owes $320 or she is taking him to court. I have no receipt, which I have asked for, they went out and bought a brand new table and didn't even try to get estimates on repairs. What are my sons legal rights. Does he have to pay, should there son pay for the door handle and don't you think I should be able to see if the table can be repaired before anything else is done? Please help, Thanks.

moburkes

Your son can sue in small claims court for the door handle.
The mother can sue in small claims court for the damages to the table. The judge can decide if your son is responsible for damages or the replacement.

dmil

moburkes said:
Your son can sue in small claims court for the door handle.
The mother can sue in small claims court for the damages to the table. The judge can decide if your son is responsible for damages or the replacement.

Thank you for such a quick response. I would like to avoid court and just pay the difference.

moburkes

Well, that only makes sense. Wait to see if she files a lawsuit against your son. Then, if she does, have your son file a lawsuit against her son. Otherwise, I'd consider it a "wash".

dmil

moburkes said:
Well, that only makes sense. Wait to see if she files a lawsuit against your son. Then, if she does, have your son file a lawsuit against her son. Otherwise, I'd consider it a "wash".

a "wash" sounds good to me. I don't know whats wrong with some people that they feel they have to use court as a threat instead of just trying to work things out. And by the way these people were close friends of the family which we have know for 10 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">