• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I start a claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plutoboyvp07

Michigan

Hello everyone. This is my first time on this forum and I am looking for some advice. I am thinking of taking a dealership to small claims court. Everyone will remain nameless as I don't want them finding out at this time. Grandma always said, "never let your right hand know what the left is doing", so I plan to keep this quiet until I know more on monday.

The story:

Car went in for repairs last year. Cost me a hefty price to have the transmission completly rebuilt. I will say well over $3500. I leave the country for an extended period of time leaving the car with my parents to take care of, starting it every once in awhile, come back and I start having transmission issues again. Wait, I thought I paid to not have these issues? Take it back to the shop, as I had about a month left before my warranty on the work expired. They took my car, no problem. Called everyday, but they gave me the run around and didn't work on it for some time, irrelevant.

They contact me after some weeks go by and say they have no idea what the issue was. They called back the next week and said it was a sensor and that the car HAS to be towed to the dealer as they only handle transmissions and nothing electrical. I paid for towing, and also the dealership fee for them to check the car. The dealership insisted i have them pay the fee since the shop didn't truly know what was wrong and told me to rely on the diagnosis of the dealer. They refused to pay and I proceeded anyway. Dealer contacted me again saying that it was infact a transmission issue and that the shop might have put the wrong parts in for the vehicle when they did the rebuild of the car. Currently the transmission shop's voicemail says they are on vacation for a week so I have to wait to contact them and get their side of the story and what they plan to do to remedy this problem.

My question is, if they claim they will not fix it for free because my warranty has expired, do I have a good chance at getting a small claims case going? I have indeed kept all the paperwork from the transmission shop and also a detailed explanation from the dealership's service department. Any advice would be wonderful as I have never done this before. I am a broke college student so I can't just say forget it, I'll just go buy a new car.

quincy

Michigan

Hello everyone. This is my first time on this forum and I am looking for some advice. I am thinking of taking a dealership to small claims court. Everyone will remain nameless as I don't want them finding out at this time. Grandma always said, "never let your right hand know what the left is doing", so I plan to keep this quiet until I know more on monday.

The story:

Car went in for repairs last year. Cost me a hefty price to have the transmission completly rebuilt. I will say well over $3500. I leave the country for an extended period of time leaving the car with my parents to take care of, starting it every once in awhile, come back and I start having transmission issues again. Wait, I thought I paid to not have these issues? Take it back to the shop, as I had about a month left before my warranty on the work expired. They took my car, no problem. Called everyday, but they gave me the run around and didn't work on it for some time, irrelevant.

They contact me after some weeks go by and say they have no idea what the issue was. They called back the next week and said it was a sensor and that the car HAS to be towed to the dealer as they only handle transmissions and nothing electrical. I paid for towing, and also the dealership fee for them to check the car. The dealership insisted i have them pay the fee since the shop didn't truly know what was wrong and told me to rely on the diagnosis of the dealer. They refused to pay and I proceeded anyway. Dealer contacted me again saying that it was infact a transmission issue and that the shop might have put the wrong parts in for the vehicle when they did the rebuild of the car. Currently the transmission shop's voicemail says they are on vacation for a week so I have to wait to contact them and get their side of the story and what they plan to do to remedy this problem.

My question is, if they claim they will not fix it for free because my warranty has expired, do I have a good chance at getting a small claims case going? I have indeed kept all the paperwork from the transmission shop and also a detailed explanation from the dealership's service department. Any advice would be wonderful as I have never done this before. I am a broke college student so I can't just say forget it, I'll just go buy a new car.
Why did you delete your other thread that had answers already provided?

plutoboyvp07

Mine didn't have any replies? I deleted it because it was in the wrong forum. When I checked, no one had looked or replied.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The answer I gave was:

As a poor college student, you need to be aware that, even if you win in small claims, it's still on you to collect. Don't plan on seeing money any time soon.

I would wait until they return in a week and then show them the dealer's report and see how they respond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">