• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tmz

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I borrowed a family member $10,000.00 on August 9th 1997. It was given to her in form of a cashiers check from a bank. On the bottom of the carbon copy she signed her and her husbands name saying "Loan to be paid back September 30th 1998 with 3% interest."
On December 2nd 2002 I had a letter notarized saying they have not paid the loan back which was due September 31st 1998. It is now five years later with no payment. Loan for $10,000.00 and signed my name. I gave a copy of this letter to the family members who borrowed the money from me.
On June 3rd 2003 I had a letter notarized saying " Loan of $10,000.00 8/9/97 to be paid 9/30/98. There has been no payment thus far. Gave notice on 12/12/02. Still have not received a payment. This is the last notice. Then it will go to a lawyer- collection agency to be paid in full. The $10,000.00 I feel I have been very fair. To be paid in full by September 30th 2003. It is now six years." I had this letter sent to them certified mail. I still have not recieved payment.
So my question is.....Can I take this to court and get my money?
Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I'm assuming that this wasn't a collateralized loan. So, sure, you can sue them, but dollars to dimes, as soon as you file, they're going to file for Bankruptcy.

In that event, you'll be out of luck - - and your $10,000.00 plus interest.

Can you say, "I Was Foolish"?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">