• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue the city for negligence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

avcamaro68

What is the name of your state? California
Can I sue the city for having their drains under a bridge closed causing a flood, in which our car suffered engine damage. There was no warning that the area was flooded. What makes it worst is that after we passed through the floolded area, which didn't seem deep, our car stalled in the middle of the street. A police officer came called a tow truck and then the city worker. He came and said I am going to open the drains so you need to move your car because the flooded area will be clearned in minuted, which it was. It has been raining heavily for a weak, there was no reason to have the drains closed and there was no warning of any kind. Due to that I need to pay $5000 to replace the engine on my car. I just got the car a year ago and now it doesn't work. What can i do? I don't have the money to pay for the engine.

Shay-Pari'e

avcamaro68 said:
What is the name of your state? California
Can I sue the city for having their drains under a bridge closed causing a flood, in which our car suffered engine damage. There was no warning that the area was flooded. What makes it worst is that after we passed through the floolded area, which didn't seem deep, our car stalled in the middle of the street. A police officer came called a tow truck and then the city worker. He came and said I am going to open the drains so you need to move your car because the flooded area will be clearned in minuted, which it was. It has been raining heavily for a weak, there was no reason to have the drains closed and there was no warning of any kind. Due to that I need to pay $5000 to replace the engine on my car. I just got the car a year ago and now it doesn't work. What can i do? I don't have the money to pay for the engine.
You can sue anyone. Keep in mind the condtions weve had, and your responsibility to drive safely.

When things such as storms happen, the utilities are working Storm Damage. The utilities may have not had the resources available just yet. If an officer was there directing traffic then that was a warning.

If not and you came upon the flooded road, you drove at your own risk.

Do you not have insurance?

T

TylerTheLawyer

Haven't you heard the warning every news cast gives every time it rains saying "Don't drive though any standing water, even if you think it is safe".

My optinion is that it is ones own responsibility to drive safely. You choose to drive through the water, nobody forced you. Was there no other road you could have taken?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">