• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue the dept. of revenue for release of unclaimed property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kari_246_

What is the name of your state? Washington State. I found unclaimed property on the Dept. of Revenue's website. It is a bank account my mom opened for me when I was a baby. I gave them proof of my identity and proof of a name change when I was a teenager as requested. Now, since I didn't have a SS# (I didn't get it until I was 18) they want proof of the account with either a deposit slip or bank statement. It's been 37+ years so needless to say I, nor my mother, have any of that. A person on another website suggested I could sue the DOR in small claims court for the release of the claim. Is that true? How would I do that without knowing the amount of the claim (it's over $100) or having proof? Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.What is the name of your state?

JETX

Kari_246_ said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State. I found unclaimed property on the Dept. of Revenue's website. It is a bank account my mom opened for me when I was a baby. I gave them proof of my identity and proof of a name change when I was a teenager as requested. Now, since I didn't have a SS# (I didn't get it until I was 18) they want proof of the account with either a deposit slip or bank statement. It's been 37+ years so needless to say I, nor my mother, have any of that. A person on another website suggested I could sue the DOR in small claims court for the release of the claim. Is that true? How would I do that without knowing the amount of the claim (it's over $100) or having proof? Do you have any other suggestions? Thank you.What is the name of your state?
Is your mother still alive?? If so, then simply have her file for the refund (since you were a minor, her name was required also).
If not, then you may have to have the executor of her estate do the filing for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">