• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I sue electric co.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

centaursbc

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
My electric went out for three days starting on christmas during a snow storm. No one else in my area lost power but me. I was told on 2nd day after complaining that I am on a different grid then my neighbors and that the power will be out for 3 days before they can get to me. They put in to fix my grid problem at a later date. Since I was so angry they said to go to a hotel and they would put me in for a claim. The customer service rep. also took my cell phone number to let me know when power comes on. Well, they never called, so I went back on Sat. the 28th and power was on but no water and heat. I had to get a well person to prime my jet pump $125 and a plumber to purge the water lines for the boiler $362, due to electric being out for so long that all that air got into line after we used all the water. My hotel bill was $127.44 and food lose was $395.34. When I made the claim I received one of those letters dening coverage due to storm. My homeowners does not cover it because power outage was not caused by an accident on my property. They did come out on monday and fix the grid problem. No, I don't know the name of the customer service rep. Do I have a claim for the $1009.78. Also can I sue for pain and suffering and mental anguish. The claims department said they only pay for claims that are caused from their screw ups and not the weather. I feel that if they had me on the right grid before the storm this would not have happened. I got put on the back burner so they could fix problems in areas with more people out of power. If it wasn't for the electric company I would not be out $1009.78 that I can not afford. I had to borrow the money. Thanks, Jeff

JETX

Q1) "Do I have a claim for the $1009.78."
A1) No. The loss is an "Act of God" and not due to their negligence or malice.

Q2) "Also can I sue for pain and suffering and mental anguish."
A2) See A1.

Q3) "The claims department said they only pay for claims that are caused from their screw ups and not the weather. I feel that if they had me on the right grid before the storm this would not have happened."
A3) Your being on a different grid (unless that grid was known to have problems and you were put their on purpose, as punishment, etc.), is NOT actionable. After all, there was a chance that all your neighbors (on the other grid) could have lost theirs.... and you would still have your power.

Q4) "I got put on the back burner so they could fix problems in areas with more people out of power. If it wasn't for the electric company I would not be out $1009.78 that I can not afford. I had to borrow the money."
A4) Not really true. If the power had not gone out due to the STORM, you wouldn't have suffered the loss.

Sorry, no cause of action.

JETX

Sorry, but in addition to helping individuals with their legal issues, one of the side purposes of this forum is to allow others to learn from the issues raised and answers offered.

As such, it would not be fair to other readers if we were to offer individual 'private' advice.

I also have a general rule that I do not respond to private requests due to the possible legal liabilities that could be raised. If you have a question, please post it here and someone will try to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">