• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue this guy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cooperbates

I am a video game collector and I have been making videos for youtube of what Ive been buying/selling/trading/collecting. A lot of people on youtube do this, and it is sort of a tight knit community of very nice and helpful people.

I sold a game to this guy who I didnt know, but he had videos and stuff, so I trusted him. He paid for the game, and then requested to buy more. I have sent him $450 worth of video games, and apparently he has ripped a bunch of people off over youtube. I have every message he has sent me about what he wants to buy and how much we agree for him to pay, and he even made a video of him opening and showing the package I sent to him. He still hasnt paid me and its been way too long for a postal delay. I am an unemployed student and I dont have enough money to pay my bills. I was seriously counting on this $450, and I really need help here.

Is there anything I can do? Do our messages count as a contract?

You didn't include your state, but most states allow an implied-in-fact contract or implied-in-law contract (very rare) in these types of situations where one person benefits at another person's expense. In your case, it appears the facts and circumstances establish an implied contract. There was an offer, an acceptance, consideration on your end, and a mutual understanding of what was being agreed to.

You could probably sue the guy in small claims court. However, there is no guarantee you'll ever be able to collect from this guy or that it will be worth the effort and expense to collect from this guy.

Another option is to see if an attorney will write the guy a letter threatening to take him to court if he doesn't pay you. These letters can be successful.

Good Luck!

are there any attorneys/layers on this forum that might do it for free?
You said you were an unemployed student. Your university might have a legal aid organization. Further, if your university has a law school, there might be clinics that would do this type of thing for free. Also, you could look for legal aid organizations in your city and county.

Good luck!

oh, i forgot to mention. I have his address, but no name. He is also only 15. I am 20
That is relevant. Minors can go back on contracts they made when under the age of 18 in many states. However, he would still need to return to you those goods if he retracts his agreement. One thing is for certain, if he took the goods, he's still liable to pay for them.

I would send a letter to his house addressed to Household. Maybe a parent sees this and you'll get your money. I would threaten to turn this over to the authorities in his county. I would threaten to sue him. See what happens.

Good Luck.

You Are Guilty

If he lives in a small enough town, you might have some success calling his local police department and asking to file a complaint against him. In big cities, that's as far as things will go, but in a little town, they might be bored enough to pay him a personal visit, which can sometimes get results and avoid your need to resort to legal action.

Good luck.

cooperbates

he lives in warren, new jersey, but apparently is moving on jan 6th to brooklyn New York. I have both addresses though

mauee20

Use the address to get a phone number. Plenty of websites that can help with that - You can probably get the parents names that way too. Try People Search by ZabaSearch - Honestly Free People Search for starters.

Then call them. Tell them that their darling offspring owes you hundreds of dollars. Don't pussyfoot around - put junior on notice.

Also post to anybody in your little online circle that they should not do deals with this kid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">