• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my ex boyfriend?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SilverRose

My ex boyfriend has my trading cards which are valued at $500 and refuses to give them back. I am in NM and he lives in ME. I have even suggested paying for the shipping. He claims that he left the cards at his uncle's in SC, yet he is doing nothing to get the cards back to him in ME from SC. Since I entrusted him with the cards, can I sue my ex boyfriend for the value of my trading cards?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1: What proof do you have of their value?
2: Are you prepared to travel to his state for the lawsuit? (Travel expenses cannot recovered)

latigo

My ex boyfriend has my trading cards which are valued at $500 and refuses to give them back. I am in NM and he lives in ME. I have even suggested paying for the shipping. He claims that he left the cards at his uncle's in SC, yet he is doing nothing to get the cards back to him in ME from SC. Since I entrusted him with the cards, can I sue my ex boyfriend for the value of my trading cards?
If you think you can provide travel, food and lodging to appear in a lawsuit filed in Maine for under $500, then go for it.

But unless you can prove that the ex boyfriend illegal took possession of those cards while physically present in the state New Mexico, that state's long arm statute will not give its courts personal jurisdiction.

Meaning he will have to be sued in the state where he resides.

[SUP](Or you entice him to travel to New Mexico and then serve him. Then who knows? Maybe a rekindling?)[/SUP]

sandyclaus

The proof is the online store where I get my cards and I cannot sue from my own state?
How long ago were these cards purchased? And in what condition were they when they were allegedly left in SC?

Why must he bring them or send them to you? You supposedly left them there. If you want them, go get them yourself.

If you MUST sue, you would have to do so in his jurisdiction in ME, because that's where he is. There aren't many states that have a long-arm statute which allows you to sue in YOUR OWN jurisdiction for something that happened elsewhere, and as far as I know, NM is NOT one of the states that does. That's why you couldn't sue in your own home state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">