• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my ex for money that I owe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheilannia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
A few tears ago I made the dumb mistake of allowing my ex to rent an apartment in my name. I felt sorry for her after we broke up because she had a teenaged son and no place to live. Well, I just recieved my credit report and I have a debt of $7,500 that I owe to the apartment company because she moved out and broke the lease and didn't tell me. I know that I owe this money to the apartment but can I sue her because I didnt live there and I will have to pay for this? Unfortunatley I trusted this person and we did not sign a note of promise and we did not have a contract amongst ourselves. Someone please tell me that she owes me money...

Gail in Georgia

Certainly you can file a lawsuit against her in Small Claims Court in Illinois (this state allows lawsuits up to $10,000 in Small Claims).

It's always better to try to prove your case with evidence. Bring a copy of her lease and documentation where you lived during this period to show that you lived somewhere else at the time.

She is likely to argue that this money was a gift from you to her.

The judge will decide who is telling the truth.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">