• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i sue my landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rainlilly15

What is the name of your state?kentucky
My family has been renting a mobile home that we have a lease for 1 year. In the past four months the landlord has put up surveillence camera's on the property without notifying any of us, he has numerously insisted on coming into the home without any notice. One time he beat on my door at 7:30 in the morning and insisted on coming in to set up the a/c with out any notice, I work third shift so I went with out sleep all day because he didn't leave until 6:30. He does inspections on the house when he feels the urge to and he sent around a notice stating that he would do them when he felt like it, so i asked a police officer of my rights and he told me unless there was an emergency it was 24 hr notice. So about a week ago, the landlord stopped in to bother us again, and my husband told him that he had spoken to the law and would require notice. On the first he did an inspection, every thing was great. Today my children were playing in the yard with there toys, and they left there t-shirts on the porch because it was hot out. I brought them in for dinner without picking up first, the next thing i know the landlord is at the door telling us we have a 30 day notice for violating our lease, stating that the premises wasn't kept clean. We have never had a copy of our lease that we had asked for several times, until today when they came back with our written notice. What I want to know is do I have any right to sue for wrongful eviction, distress, and or harassment??? Please help, I don't think it's fair to be punished because he was mad about the 24 hour notice thing.

BL

rainlilly15 said:
What is the name of your state?kentucky
My family has been renting a mobile home that we have a lease for 1 year. In the past four months the landlord has put up surveillence camera's on the property without notifying any of us, he has numerously insisted on coming into the home without any notice. One time he beat on my door at 7:30 in the morning and insisted on coming in to set up the a/c with out any notice, I work third shift so I went with out sleep all day because he didn't leave until 6:30. He does inspections on the house when he feels the urge to and he sent around a notice stating that he would do them when he felt like it, so i asked a police officer of my rights and he told me unless there was an emergency it was 24 hr notice. So about a week ago, the landlord stopped in to bother us again, and my husband told him that he had spoken to the law and would require notice. On the first he did an inspection, every thing was great. Today my children were playing in the yard with there toys, and they left there t-shirts on the porch because it was hot out. I brought them in for dinner without picking up first, the next thing i know the landlord is at the door telling us we have a 30 day notice for violating our lease, stating that the premises wasn't kept clean. We have never had a copy of our lease that we had asked for several times, until today when they came back with our written notice. What I want to know is do I have any right to sue for wrongful eviction, distress, and or harassment??? Please help, I don't think it's fair to be punished because he was mad about the 24 hour notice thing.
This belongs under Landlord Tenant LAW Heading , if you care to repost there , you will get some answers .

Generally , you should have , and still can send your Landlord a Return Receipt certified Letter , summarizing the Facts of your verbal statement of what the Police advised you of Proper 24 hr. notice , and your subsequent statements of the same to your LL .

Keep a Copy .

In your letter , advise your LL , that he/she can not retaliate because of your complaining to a government Agency about proper notice , by evicting you .

If the LL has been harassing you also state that , and bring it to the Courts' attention .

IF the Judge believes the LL is retaliating , you won't be evicted .

IF however the LL can should you do indeed violate the lease , you may be order to vacate . Look up your States' Landlord tenant Law . A 30 days notice to move would also have to be in writing properly done right .

However it might be different , if the property is owner occupied .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">