• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my neighbor for money I paid for trimming that I was not responsible for.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RTouche

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A few months ago my neighbor accosted me in front of my home about branches from a large tree in the back of my property hanging over his property, specifically an unattached garage facing the alley. He told me that if a fire were to occur it could spread to his property because of those overhanging branches. He said that he had tree trimmers that were going to cut the branches (on his side) and that the cost would be $1000. I said I would look into it, at which point in a menacing tone of voice he stated that he was going to have the limbs cut and that I owed him the money for the cost to have the limbs cut. He told me that he would give me 5 minutes to write him a check! Since I didn't know any better at the time, and not wanting to be sued for having tree limbs encroach on his property and avoid a (possible) legal dispute with him, I wrote the check and gave it to him.
It is only recently that I learned that I was not responsible to pay for his tree trimmers. According to the law, it is his responsibility to maintain his property such that he is allowed to trim back any overhanging limbs up to his property line and that I should not have been financially responsible to pay for that service. Does my ignorance of the law prevent me from suing for money I paid for services that were not my responsibility. Or does my payment mean that I agreed to pay for something that I really didn't owe and that it would simply be my fault for my ignorance at the time? Do I have grounds for a reasonable request for getting my money back? Is this a matter that can be handled in small claims court? When he first confronted me and I asked to see what I could do, I wanted to get another estimate for less than $1000 from people that have done landscape work for me in the past. However, he insisted that the tree trimmers were there now and that it was going to be done and that I owed him the money. If I had had the time and researched it, I probably would have learned that I didn't owe him anything. I just didn't know any better at the time.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A few months ago my neighbor accosted me in front of my home about branches from a large tree in the back of my property hanging over his property, specifically an unattached garage facing the alley. He told me that if a fire were to occur it could spread to his property because of those overhanging branches. He said that he had tree trimmers that were going to cut the branches (on his side) and that the cost would be $1000. I said I would look into it, at which point in a menacing tone of voice he stated that he was going to have the limbs cut and that I owed him the money for the cost to have the limbs cut. He told me that he would give me 5 minutes to write him a check! Since I didn't know any better at the time, and not wanting to be sued for having tree limbs encroach on his property and avoid a (possible) legal dispute with him, I wrote the check and gave it to him.
It is only recently that I learned that I was not responsible to pay for his tree trimmers. According to the law, it is his responsibility to maintain his property such that he is allowed to trim back any overhanging limbs up to his property line and that I should not have been financially responsible to pay for that service. Does my ignorance of the law prevent me from suing for money I paid for services that were not my responsibility. Or does my payment mean that I agreed to pay for something that I really didn't owe and that it would simply be my fault for my ignorance at the time? Do I have grounds for a reasonable request for getting my money back? Is this a matter that can be handled in small claims court? When he first confronted me and I asked to see what I could do, I wanted to get another estimate for less than $1000 from people that have done landscape work for me in the past. However, he insisted that the tree trimmers were there now and that it was going to be done and that I owed him the money. If I had had the time and researched it, I probably would have learned that I didn't owe him anything. I just didn't know any better at the time.
Unfortunately I don't see any way that you can prove that you did not voluntarily give him the money.

You need to be less concerned in the future about avoiding a legal dispute and more concerned about whether or not you have any actual liability, and additionally more concerned that if you do, whether or not your homeowners insurance would cover that liability.

In other words, if it happens again your response should be that you will consult your attorney and your homeowners insurance AFTER he puts his request in writing...and then walk away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">