• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue the people who spread rumors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pengxc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Since my teenage time I started to have some psychological problems, such as phobia, anxiety disorder, one of the phobia is blushing phobia (Erythrophobia).In some situations I will suddenly get nervous and blush. Such as talking with a pretty girl, I will suddenly red-faced, such as when people talk about a theft, I will get very nervous (afraid of being suspected), and get blush. (Phobia is very difficult to explain to normal people, it’s something very irrational, difficult to control, and recurring. If you want to know more, just go to Google.)

I used to work in a nursing home. One time when someone talked about a theft, suddenly I get nervous and blush. It’s so embarrassing, but I do not know how to explain to others. Even if I explained to other, probably no one can understand it. Also my psychiatrist always told me, your mental problem is confidential, do not tell others. So I just remained silent. However, from that time on, people really started to doubt me, I felt very uncomfortable and unpleasant, but I didn’t know how to solve this problem, just let it going on.

Later, for some reason I left that nursing home, and started to work for a few other healthcare agencies. However, one day at a healthcare agency, suddenly I ran into a lady who used to work with me in previous nursing home. Since that time, all things suddenly changed, all the healthcare agencies stopped my work without any explanation. I know definitely that lady spread the rumors to those healthcare agencies, and then they no longer assign work for me.

Right now I am very angry. I ‘m completely clean and innocent. They do not have any evidence but are willing to believe the rumors. If an innocent person was put into a jail, he has a chance to get huge compensation. I have been hurt by rumors and lost job , but what is my chance to fight back? I really do not know how to solve this problem, should I do something and sue the person who spread rumor? I hope everyone here can give me some advice on how to deal with this problem. Thank you very much in advance!

I'mTheFather

Since my teenage time I started to have some psychological problems, such as phobia, anxiety disorder, one of the phobia is blushing phobia (Erythrophobia).In some situations I will suddenly get nervous and blush. Such as talking with a pretty girl, I will suddenly red-faced, such as when people talk about a theft, I will get very nervous (afraid of being suspected), and get blush. (Phobia is very difficult to explain to normal people, it’s something very irrational, difficult to control, and recurring. If you want to know more, just go to Google.)

I used to work in a nursing home. One time when someone talked about a theft, suddenly I get nervous and blush. It’s so embarrassing, but I do not know how to explain to others. Even if I explained to other, probably no one can understand it. Also my psychiatrist always told me, your mental problem is confidential, do not tell others. So I just remained silent. However, from that time on, people really started to doubt me, I felt very uncomfortable and unpleasant, but I didn’t know how to solve this problem, just let it going on.

Later, for some reason I left that nursing home, and started to work for a few other healthcare agencies. However, one day at a healthcare agency, suddenly I ran into a lady who used to work with me in previous nursing home. Since that time, all things suddenly changed, all the healthcare agencies stopped my work without any explanation. I know definitely that lady spread the rumors to those healthcare agencies, and then they no longer assign work for me.

Right now I am very angry. I ‘m completely clean and innocent. They do not have any evidence but are willing to believe the rumors. If an innocent person was put into a jail, he has a chance to get huge compensation. I have been hurt by rumors and lost job , but what is my chance to fight back? I really do not know how to solve this problem, should I do something and sue the person who spread rumor? I hope everyone here can give me some advice on how to deal with this problem. Thank you very much in advance!
How would you prove, in a court of law, that the woman you suspect of spreading rumors is actually doing so?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

You worked in a medical facility and doubted your co-workers would understand a medical condition. A psychiatrist may have told you that HE/SHE could/would not discuss any of your issues outside therapy (that's who the burden of confidentiality is on), but you are always free to do so. :cool:

pengxc

How would you prove, in a court of law, that the woman you suspect of spreading rumors is actually doing so?
that is exactly the problem. you know, people who spread rumor always hind themselves, especially when they have no evidence.

Logically, I'm sure she is a key person related to my case. If I ask her, definitely shy will deny.

I'mTheFather

that is exactly the problem. you know, people who spread rumor always hind themselves, especially when they have no evidence.

Logically, I'm sure she is a key person related to my case. If I ask her, definitely shy will deny.
Then you have no proof and you can't prove your case. Sorry.

pengxc

You worked in a medical facility and doubted your co-workers would understand a medical condition. A psychiatrist may have told you that HE/SHE could/would not discuss any of your issues outside therapy (that's who the burden of confidentiality is on), but you are always free to do so. :cool:
Looking back, perhaps I should explain to the people at first place. In fact, I thought of doing this many times, but phobia people are generally very hesitate to make decision , always worry about embarrassment, misunderstanding, etc.

also nursing home is not a hospital, many of them even don't have a single doctor, I don't think most of them heard about Erythrophobia.

Silverplum

Looking back, perhaps I should explain to the people at first place. In fact, I thought of doing this many times, but phobia people are generally very hesitate to make decision , always worry about embarrassment, misunderstanding, etc.

also nursing home is not a hospital, many of them even don't have a single doctor, I don't think most of them heard about Erythrophobia.
I've heard of it, and I encourage you to speak with your superiors about your condition. It might be wise and useful to bring along some copies of articles from medical journals and any sort of personal medical documentation, such as letters from physicians and psychiatrists who have treated you.

I also encourage you to continue to seek counseling that helps you -- from a NEW counselor/psychiatrist/someone licensed.

God bless you. :)

Just Blue

I've heard of it, and I encourage you to speak with your superiors about your condition. It might be wise and useful to bring along some copies of articles from medical journals and any sort of personal medical documentation, such as letters from physicians and psychiatrists who have treated you.

I also encourage you to continue to seek counseling that helps you -- from a NEW counselor/psychiatrist/someone licensed.

God bless you. :)
Darn.
you are now banned from the BGC!! :)(hearts to you sweetie):):)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">