• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i sue for pit-bull attack?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamesk36967

Last Saturday i went to hang out with a friend. We eventually met up with his other friend, and decided we wanted to go to his house for free WiFi. So we get to his house and his pit bull is in his backyard, and peaks its head around the corner. I ask the friend of my friend if he would attack and he said no. So we approach it and they pet it and he shows no aggression. Then when i meet eyes with the pit-bull and i go to pet it, it attacks me without warning. I was bit below my shoulder and behind my leg. Both bites were VERY deep and i have to get skin graphs to make them even. Is the owner responsible? They had no warning signs up and the kid said it wouldn't bite. I live in georgia and im 17 and the owner admitted his son(the guy who told me it wouldn't bite) led me to the dog on the police report. The dog was on a leash but the owners son said it didn't bite and I had no way of knowing. They don't have homeowners insurance because they rent. Can i get money for pain and suffering?

justalayman

the state is extremely important.

I see it now: Georgia

I'll be back

was the dog ever determined to be "vicious".

is their record of it biting before?

Ignore all that. I thought the dog was behind a fence. I see now it was roaming freely wherever you were.

Yes, he is liable.

Last edited:

jamesk36967

the state is extremely important.

I see it now: Georgia

I'll be back

was the dog ever determined to be "vicious".

is their record of it biting before?

Ignore all that. I thought the dog was behind a fence. I see now it was roaming freely wherever you were.

Yes, he is liable.
Hey, thank you for the reply. Sorry i wasn't more specific. The dog was in the owners back yard tied up, but the leash reached around the house. When i was bit we were in his back yard. It showed no sign of aggression until i reached out to pet it. The son of the owner led me to their back yard and told me it was safe. He admitted this on the police report. There were several pictures taken and the wounds were very deep. Can i sue for pain and suffering?

ps. im unsure of it having a record of biting or determined vicious

Eekamouse

So what happened to the dog? Is it in quarantine? Did they put it down? Were the owners ticketed for the attack? Were you hospitalized?

commentator

Realistically, if you sued them, is there any potential for getting money from them? They may be quite judgment proof. No homeowners insurance, rental house. Are these skin grafts going to be medically necessary or cosmetically necessary?

TigerD

Realistically, if you sued them, is there any potential for getting money from them? They may be quite judgment proof. No homeowners insurance, rental house. Are these skin grafts going to be medically necessary or cosmetically necessary?
If it is a rental - the landlord's insurance could be implicated.
It is most likely worth discussing with an attorney.

DC

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you expect to remain friends with these folk if you sue them? Does that matter to you one way or the other?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">