• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I sue to recoup for this bad service?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottr48

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I'm in California. I got an oil change and the mechanic silicon glued the plug into the oilpan when finished. Next oil change it can't be removed and I have to pay $200 for a new pan and plug. Ridiculous thing to glue it in (and didn't even tell me when they did it). Should I go to small claims to get my $200 back from them? I called them while the dealership was fixing their mess and they only wanted to see the car.

Any advice please,

Scott

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I'm in California. I got an oil change and the mechanic silicon glued the plug into the oilpan when finished. Next oil change it can't be removed and I have to pay $200 for a new pan and plug. Ridiculous thing to glue it in (and didn't even tell me when they did it). Should I go to small claims to get my $200 back from them? I called them while the dealership was fixing their mess and they only wanted to see the car.

Any advice please,

Scott
I won't tell you what you should do, but I will say that you can.:cool:

antrc170

Sue in small claims with the documentation from the dealership and the actual parts if you have them.

Gluing the plug back/stripping the threads is a trick that some mechanics use to get you as a "repeat" customer. If you try to take the car somewhere else they'll say they can't change oil, etc which usually prompts the person to go back to the original oil change location. From there the mechanic will either change the oil and lure you into his confidence by stating that he is the only one to be trusted or upcharge you for replacement parts that he ruined in the first place. I've seen and investigated these types of scams before. Contact the BBB.

Gluing the plug back/stripping the threads is a trick that some mechanics use to get you as a "repeat" customer. .
never heard of that one before ... it maybe that the "mechanic" pulled a wrong container for something else.

They are still liable for the damage it caused .. you would get the value of the costs needed to repair their damage.

OHRoadwarrior

Where this derails is there is no such thing as silicon glue. One of two things happened. The steel washer did not seal and the shop put silicone around it to make it seal or the plug stripped and they put an epoxy around it. They may not be liable for either. The first is a few pennies. The second only occurs 2 ways. The person prior to them overtightened it and it stripped when they removed it or they over tightened it and it stripped. Usually it is a prior over tightening that occurs. OP may have a problem proving liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">