• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I sue someone is a different state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

halfceo

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Can I take an individual who lives in Tampa, Florida to small claims court in Illinois? For a contract completed over a car on ebay? The contract states the terms and conditiones of the sale and process.

Thanks
Halfceo

pink_rose

I am in New York State but the law really doesn't change much this is known as an interstate lawsuit where there are two different states involved.

How is the other involved in violation of the contract? If it is something as small as there was suppose to be a full tank of gas included with the car and it showed up on 3/4 then you dont have much of case to get money and it would be a waste of time as well as money for court fees and then the paperwork the courts have to do whether or not you win the lawsuit.

If it was something as big as The seller was suppose to ship the car six months ago, you just got it last week and it had no engine when the car stated it had a working new / semi new engine then yeah go for it.

There's an intermediate level obviously between the two examples I gave but then you really have to weigh down whether or not it will be worth it and here is why:

What basicly happens is you need to call the county clerk in their area for information pertaining to interstate lawsuits or judgements whichever relates to what could be a case.

They will have you make at least one trip there for the court date where you will both or should both be appearing. You should have receipts and a copy of that contract with you, infact make a few incase someone's disapears the court will usually ask you to send them a couple of copies for their reference but like I said it makes you look better if you have prepared yourself for the unknown. The process will go much more smoothly and it will also go faster and make you look better as you will be prepared. Email conversations between the buyer and seller would also be a good idea and make a few copies of those too.

Good luck to you I'll check back and see if there is anything else you may need to know.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">