• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue someone out of state without traveling?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jtls66

What is the name of your state? Connecticut
I bought an item from a business, and they never sent it to me. They said they would refund the money, now they deny ever having the transaction with me. I used an online payment service to pay. The cost was $2000. I want to file a lawsuit but they are far away. Is there any way to file a small claims suit here and not have to travel to where this business resides? Also, since he now denies ever being involved, I would like to get his records from the payment service to prove he got my payment. The payment service will not supply that information without a sopena, but it is very pertinent information to the case. Is there any way I can get those kind of records to support my case? I really don't need a lawyer because it is such a no-brainer to prove on my part... Or do I really need a lawyer? Please advise. Thanks

JETX

"Is there any way to file a small claims suit here and not have to travel to where this business resides?"
*** Most courts will accept a filing by mail. However, you will have to appear to present your case when the hearing is scheduled.

"Also, since he now denies ever being involved, I would like to get his records from the payment service to prove he got my payment. The payment service will not supply that information without a sopena, but it is very pertinent information to the case. Is there any way I can get those kind of records to support my case?"
*** Yes. Check with the court where you are going to file (most courts allow subpoena's, but not all). If they do allow, ask the procedure and cost.

"I really don't need a lawyer because it is such a no-brainer to prove on my part... Or do I really need a lawyer?"
*** I would assume that you already have a large part of your evidence.... mainly in either a check or credit card slip showing the charge and transaction. Assuming that you have that information, or can get it, should be pretty simple. In fact, the hardest part of this process will likely be trying to collect on the judgment.

"Thanks"
*** You're welcome.

J

JMA22

something like this happened with mom within the last month. you might try checking with the payment service to see if they will reimburse you for your loss, let them deal with it. paypal did it for my mom

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">