• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue the SPCA for not telling us about our adopted cat's condition?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackiew945

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post on because I'm really inexperienced with this sort of stuff but I'd appreciate any help if possible! I live in Hong Kong.

1 1/2 years ago we adopted a Scottish Fold with malformed legs. We did not notice that her legs were malformed until we signed the papers and we were not told of this at all. She did a checkup in the SPCA clinic before we brought her home and we were specifically told that the only problems she would have was one with her eye having too much discharge. We got an operation for her eye to reduce the discharge.

Over the past few days she has retreated to a corner and refused to come out and if we even got close to her she'd meow as if in pain. She refused to eat or drink today. We took her to the emergency clinic in the SPCA and we were told by the veterinarian that it was due to the pain she has from her condition.

We were told that she would get progressively worse as her bones were aging a lot faster than they should due to her malformed legs and she often will get fevers purely due to the pain she feels every day. She's only 2 years old. She's currently at the SPCA receiving treatment and we were told that she'd have to be on painkillers for the rest of her life, which by the way, is drastically shortened by her condition.

Note we had no idea of this at adoption and the only thing we were told was that her left eye had a discharge problem. We have grown really close to her and it's really painful seeing our cat suffer like this every day. It seems really negligent of the SPCA to allow people to adopt a cat like this without prior notice or warning of what they'd have to deal with.

We paid $5000 HKD for her treatment today (about $644 USD) and we will have to pay for painkillers for the rest of her life.

This is Molly:

Here's one where her malformed legs are really noticeable
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/jackiew945/IMG_0002.jpg

And another where not so much, so you can see how we did not notice upon adoption
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj532/jackiew945/IMG_2664.jpg

Thanks in advice! And do let me know if I've posted in the wrong place, sorry if i have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">