• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue The Stylist Or Salon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rhondajoh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I went to a salon to receive a Braid service, 5 days later I noticed my hair had began to bald in the middle of my head where the braids were obviously to tight, I contacted the salon and spoke with who I thought was the owner, I told her that the braids were too tight and beginning to cause damage so I wished to have them be removed i SUGGESTED another style that was less tension. she refused to do anymore work on my head unless I paid her more money, I didn't feel that was fair to ask for more money,I ultimately went to the emergency room as well as my primary doctor both of whom said the braids were causing follicle damage and needed to be be removed immediately before further damage happened. I told this to the owner she still wanted more money and said that she felt no responsibility for my hair. I have pics of the hairstyle and the damage it caused, but who do I sue The owner didn't braid my hair it was one of her stylist whom i don't know her name.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

rhondajoh

because of the damage (Hair loss)
pain and suffering ( braids were too tight, and my b-day was ruined because of it)
I had to have the braids removed which I paid $200 to have put in and $75.00 to have removed

Antigone*

pain and suffering ( braids were too tight, and my b-day was ruined because of it)
I had to have the braids removed which I paid $200 to have put in and $75.00 to have removed
Why shouldn't have you had to pay to have the braids removed? I really don't see that you have a claim.

rhondajoh

Really?
I didn't spend all that money to have extensions put in only to pay more money to have the extensions removed 5 days later, this isn't professional at all, I only paid to have them removed because they were damaging my natural hair, because of the stylist negligence my hair came out. My doctor said to remove them. She should've tried to work something out or refund my $200

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Really?
I didn't spend all that money to have extensions put in only to pay more money to have the extensions removed 5 days later, this isn't professional at all, I only paid to have them removed because they were damaging my natural hair according to my doctor and my doctor said to remove them. She shouldve tried to work something out or refund my $200
What extensions? :confused:

ETA: You have no case.

justalayman

contrary to the others, I believe you do have a valid claim IF the work itself was improperly done. Braiding itself tends to cause damage, even if done correctly. If the hair was tighter than what is considered to be acceptable in the industry, the stylist and because she worked for the salon, the salon as well are liable for the damages. I would also seek the initial costs due to the poor workmanship.

you get nothing for a ruined birthday. You also will not get pain and suffering. Actual damages is what you should expect.

Antigone*

contrary to the others, I believe you do have a valid claim IF the work itself was improperly done. Braiding itself tends to cause damage, even if done correctly. If the hair was tighter than what is considered to be acceptable in the industry, the stylist and because she worked for the salon, the salon as well are liable for the damages. I would also seek the initial costs due to the poor workmanship.

you get nothing for a ruined birthday. You also will not get pain and suffering. Actual damages is what you should expect.
IF she can prove that it was done incorrectly.

rhondajoh

Yeah,

now what you're saying makes sense to me, I will gladly walk away with only damages,I do believe that the work was excessive and the pics will tell the story

tranquility

I'd try to sue for pain and suffering as well. This is not a contractual dispute alone it includes negligence too. (Mitigation is the problem though. Measuring the actual damages would be hard and I wouldn't expect much more than economic damages. But, as my friend's mom used to say, "If you don't ask, you don't get.")

As to the proof it was done incorrectly:
I ultimately went to the emergency room as well as my primary doctor both of whom said the braids were causing follicle damage and needed to be be removed immediately before further damage happened.
If she can get one to testify to what they told her, I think she'd be good to go.

xylene

IF she can prove that it was done incorrectly.
Yeah, jeez, a medical doctor won't hold a candle to the word of hair braider. :rolleyes:

Lawsuits for alopecia, scalp damage, follicle damage are common and the victims of incorrect braiding often prevail.

This is why smart stylist in this industry have insurance**************...

You Are Guilty

As several people have said already, sue both. However, it is my understanding that in salons, it is common for an individual stylist to "rent" the space from the owner, making them an independent contractor, not an employee. If that holds true here, the liability, which originally lays with the stylist, will stay there and won't be imputed to the owner. (Why would you care? Because it is much easier to collect a judgment against a business than an individual.)

But long story short, sue everyone and let the court sort them out.

tranquility

My sister is a hair stylist and "rents" a chair from the shop owner. She is an independent contractor and I report her earnings on schedule C. All her co-workers are similarly situated.

I recall one lawsuit against the stylist at the shop who left a woman in the glop to change the texture of hair for far longer then appropriate--causing damages. The owner was sued as well as the stylist. They got some direct liability against the owner for his oversight of the hiring of the stylist. Something about how he should have checked the stylist had the proper training before selling (Actually, reselling.) the glop to them for use in his shop where the customers were not informed it was an IC shop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">