• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue for title fraud if the previous owner got the motorcycle title illegally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ragnar_Dannesk

I recently purchased a motorcycle from an acquaintance. I paid in cash and went with his word that it was in good condition as it seemed to run fine on the test drive. However, now that I've had it for a bit longer, it has come into major problems and I haven't even burned a single tank of gas. It is extremely unlikely that he didn't know about these problems and I think he falsely advertised. I asked for a refund but he refused basically saying that I should have known he would try to screw me on the deal. I know I don't have a case for proving that he knew there was something wrong with it, all my evidence is circumstantial. However, he told me after the purchase that when he bought it he lied on the title change form. He claimed that he was related to the previous owner to avoid the title ad valorem tax. Since this is title fraud, can I sue based on the fact that he doesn't have a legitimate title? All I want is my money back, which I think is fair. I live in Georgia

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I recently purchased a motorcycle from an acquaintance. I paid in cash and went with his word that it was in good condition as it seemed to run fine on the test drive. However, now that I've had it for a bit longer, it has come into major problems and I haven't even burned a single tank of gas. It is extremely unlikely that he didn't know about these problems and I think he falsely advertised. I asked for a refund but he refused basically saying that I should have known he would try to screw me on the deal. I know I don't have a case for proving that he knew there was something wrong with it, all my evidence is circumstantial. However, he told me after the purchase that when he bought it he lied on the title change form. He claimed that he was related to the previous owner to avoid the title ad valorem tax. Since this is title fraud, can I sue based on the fact that he doesn't have a legitimate title? All I want is my money back, which I think is fair. I live in Georgia
Does he have a title issued by the state in his name? If so, then any matters of tax evasion would be between him and the state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes he does, can I just report him for that? Or do I have a legal basis for an illegitimate title?
It's not an illegitimate title. You can report him, but it's not going to help you get your bike fixed. What problems came up that your mechanic didn't tell you about them during the pre-purchase inspection?

(Yes, I know...)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">