• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Trustnoone7

What is the name of your state? CA
I know this has been addressed in other contexts but I am really desperate for advice!
about 6 mos ago my bf/fiance paid a bill for me and subsequently gave me $50 here and there throughout our relationship all totaling about $350 after a year's time.
It was never mentioned as a loan and he basically just gave it to me or I did ask one time. pretty usual stuff I guess but NOW... I am trying to break up with him and he says they NOW were loans and he is going to sue me for the money (cuz I dont have it )
How long after giving someone money can they sue you? and can he sue me? He has nothing that says it was a loan. he has reciepts of some of it, but nothing in writing from me saying it was a loan. I am trying to move on with my life any advice would be so helpful! Thank you for your time!

BL

about 6 mos ago my bf/fiance paid a bill for me [ quote ]

I don't think you can get out of the reimbursement for the "bill".

The bill was initially your responsibility.

For the extra here and there , he would have to eat it as it was in the course of a relationship , unless he can prove by the receipts the items wouldn't necessarily be viewed as gifts.

H

hexeliebe

Unless he has something in writing or a verbal agreement that you will pay back the monies, all of what you have outlined here will be considered a gift.

Even the bill. let him sue. It will cost him to file the lawsuit and take a day off work just to find out that even in a relationship, unless asked for money and told (in writing or verbally with corroberation) it would be paid back, the law is on your side.

JETX

Hex is correct.

Simply, if he cant prove that they were loans with a specific promise to repay them, then he loses.

T

Trustnoone7

Thank you all very much!

I just wanted to thank all of you for responding to this post. I usually pay for 90% of anything in a dating situation (not had many long term relationships) so for him to say they were loans just because things werent working out for us was wrong. I also put a lot of resources and money into things during the course of things and I am not now changing my mind and saying it was all loans, I just want to get on with my life. I guess these experiences shape who we are. " what doesnt kill us, makes us stronger"
Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">