• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana.
I had an affair, and we broke up. He painted some of his house, and bought some new furniture. I never told him to do any of this. Now he says I owe him money because he couldn't afford to do this, and that I lied about moving in with him. I didn't help pick the furniture out or anything. Can he sue me? Can he win? Do I owe him something. How do I get him to leave me alone?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

I had an affair, and we broke up. He painted some of his house, and bought some new furniture. I never told him to do any of this. Now he says I owe him money because he couldn't afford to do this, and that I lied about moving in with him. I didn't help pick the furniture out or anything. Can he sue me? Can he win? Do I owe him something. How do I get him to leave me alone?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Sure he can sue you. Only the crystal ball can tell us if he will win and it is broken. If a judge says you owe, you owe. Stop answering your phone. All in that order.:cool:

Banned_Princess

he can sue you, thats the American way.

will he win? thats doubtful. since it was his house.

sandyclaus

HE painted HIS house and bought himself some new furniture. Sounds to me like these were choices on his part in order to try to entice you into moving in. Once you made it clear you weren't going to, he decided to have buyer's remorse for his poorly thought-out decision to make those home improvements. Too bad, so sad, FOR HIM.

He is not damaged in any way by your failure to give in to his pressure. In fact, he GAINS by having done so - he gets a better looking house with newer furniture that has likely increased his net worth.

Tell him, IN WRITING, that in no uncertain terms, you DO NOT want to move in and you NEVER want to hear from him again. Send the letter certified, return receipt requested, to make sure he gets it. Then block his phone number, change yours if you have to. Walk away and don't look back.

If he does decide to sue over this, then the judge is just going to laugh in his face. It's nothing you need to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">