• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be sued for this (AND CAN THEY WIN) ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wurza

Hi, I am living in CT (Connecticut) and my vehicle got stolen in the middle of the night about two weeks ago.

In the following morning I reported the theft immediately to the police and my insurance company.

The day after that I received a phone call from the police dept. telling me that they found the car and towed it to a lot of a towing company. That company refused to let me see the car or tell me anything specific about it until I paid the towing fee ($120).

Since I never approved for the towing to occur and the police never called me first (even though I gave them two phone numbers) and my car was stolen, I refused to pay the fee and walked away from it, telling them to keep the car [I was able to see my vehicle over the fence and it did not pay off for me to do anything with it].

Now my question is: can they sue me for the towing fee PLUS a daily charge of my car sitting in their lot? And if yes, how great can the sum be?

Thanks
S.

stephenk

So you decided to give up your car over a $120 tow bill? Smart.

Did you call your insurance to find out if they would pay or reimburse you for the tow charge?

lwpat

"Now my question is: can they sue me for the towing fee PLUS a daily charge of my car sitting in their lot?

Yes

And if yes, how great can the sum be?

Depends on if there are any local or state laws covering towing services.

T

Tercr6

I had a simular experience only mine got stolden & burnt up in NY.
They towed the car,and wanted the tow bill before giving me my plates.(i went to the PD and they called and told them its illegal for them to keep my plates,they gave them to me ).
As far as the bill? is the car worth it ? then yeh i'd say you'd have to pay. If it's not worth it? what i did was sign an statement of abandonment.The End. They contract with the city For tow services,they just have to eat some.
Contact the place thats holding it and ask if they are willing in to take a statement.Then they can do with it what they please.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">