• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take this to court if its out of state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Herkimer10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in New York. The guy my mechanic sent my cylinder head out to have rebuilt in in Connecticut. There was some dispute between him and my mechanic that he holding against me that I am not aware until it was mentioned. I've been without my car for 5 months. This guy in CT has been stalling and has already had my cylinder head once before, he put it back together and shipped it back and from the pictures my mechanic sent me it appeared that he reassembled it incorrectly and it was then shipped back to him. He since then has been stalling like I said and giving my mechanic and now me a hard time. I had to contact him via e-mail to see what the deal was. He has had it for about 2-3 weeks at this point and is mad that he isn't getting more money. No one agreed to more money as far as I know, it was never mentioned to me. First he said I can send him $100 to have my old cylinder head tested because he was trying to tell me its cracked, then he said he thinks its cracked or I can send him $200 for a new cylinder when a good working one costs more then that. I had seen e-mails between him and my mechanic with him asking for those amounts for having to re-do the work. The whole time he has been very rude and unprofessional. I kept everything polite on my end. I said once that he was pissing me off in response to him saying I was pissing him off when he had no reason to be mad. I asked him for pics and specs of the other cylinder head and that seemed to set him off as well. He also threatened to call the local police on me and I said for what? You holding my part hostage and demanding more money, because now he is saying $300 or I can come get it and he's not putting it back together. I have all the e-mails. What can be done about this? I just want my car back and running, I already had a ton of problems with the dealer when I bought and have been barely able to drive it since I bought it over a year ago. I tried starting a lemon law case against the dealer but the dealer did not provide me with enough documents for proof of dates and other info. Can anyone provide any help or guidance? It is much appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Mass_Shyster

You can't sue him, as you are not in privity (have no relationship) with him. You can sue your mechanic, or your mechanic can sue him.

Herkimer10

On what grounds would he be able to sue on so I can pass it along to him? And what would my option be if I had to sue my mechanic?

Last edited:

Herkimer10

Bump. There's got to be something I can do to this guy. I don't see how he could get away with this! He's threatened me and he has something of mine. I can't let him get away with this. I have made 5 car payments since all this has happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">