• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take him to small claims court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Tn

My exhusband and I have a 15 year old son with Muscular Dystrophy. My son had major surgery 2 years ago. After my insurance paid it resulted in 2200.00 owed by me. I tried to pay this but financially it has been a huge burden on my household. The divorce papers clearly state that I'm responsible for 1/2 the money and that he is to pay 1/2 back to me once I've paid (within 30 days). The court has garnished my paycheck and I have paid off the medical bill. The 30 day has been up for a few days now and I called him last night to discuss this with him and he informed me that he's not going to pay me back. He said that he was willing to pay an attorney 1500.00 instead of paying me this 1100.00. I told him he was stupid. I can't afford an attorney to recoupe this money. Can I take him to small claims or do I have to go through juvenille court? I really need this taken care of fast. I took him to court several years ago for another medical bill 6000.00 and I won but I had to a pay 900.00 for my attorney and my x filed a motion to slow pay. He pays me 25.00 a month.What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Kimmyf1965 said:
What is the name of your state? Tn

My exhusband and I have a 15 year old son with Muscular Dystrophy. My son had major surgery 2 years ago. After my insurance paid it resulted in 2200.00 owed by me. I tried to pay this but financially it has been a huge burden on my household. The divorce papers clearly state that I'm responsible for 1/2 the money and that he is to pay 1/2 back to me once I've paid (within 30 days). The court has garnished my paycheck and I have paid off the medical bill. The 30 day has been up for a few days now and I called him last night to discuss this with him and he informed me that he's not going to pay me back. He said that he was willing to pay an attorney 1500.00 instead of paying me this 1100.00. I told him he was stupid. I can't afford an attorney to recoupe this money. Can I take him to small claims or do I have to go through juvenille court? I really need this taken care of fast. I took him to court several years ago for another medical bill 6000.00 and I won but I had to a pay 900.00 for my attorney and my x filed a motion to slow pay. He pays me 25.00 a month.What is the name of your state?
Take him to small claims court.

Have a certified copy of your divorce judgment with you and show the judge.

seniorjudge said:
Take him to small claims court.

Have a certified copy of your divorce judgment with you and show the judge.
Thanks for your quick reply.

So how do I go about doing it that way? Do I just go down to the local court and tell them I want to take this to small claims? Do I need to send him another letter and request the payment (Certified Mail)? The first time I just handed him the letter. He tends to refuse to sign for certified letters from me.

seniorjudge

Kimmyf1965 said:
Thanks for your quick reply.

So how do I go about doing it that way? Do I just go down to the local court and tell them I want to take this to small claims? Do I need to send him another letter and request the payment (Certified Mail)? The first time I just handed him the letter. He tends to refuse to sign for certified letters from me.
Google tennesse small claims and also go to the courthouse and ask for info on filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">