• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take this to small claims or just use Mediation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kitkat87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am a past Aflac employee who worked from May 2013 to September 2013. I had received a bill of $1,229.15 for my first year advanced pay on a premium that never got collected. The amount of $439.86 was paid to me, but the account never paid Aflac, so I received advanced payment on a premium that was never collected. I understand that I will have to pay that balance back, plus any other charges such as rent while I was employed there.

I turned in my resignation from being an Aflac insurance agent at the end of September. Once I received my bill, I saw that I was being charged for rent, and appt fees for the months of October 2013 until March 2014. I understand that I owe $704.86, for the advanced pay, and other charges while I was employed there, but I think it is unreasonable for me to be charged an additional $524.29 for rent for months that I was not even employed there. I have tried to get in contact with the office manager numerous times but he has not returned any of my emails or phone calls. I was advised by Amanda in Aflac accounting to have the $524.29 collected from the office. I have since sent Aflac a letter describing the above situation and have received no response from them, but have recently received a collections letter from them for the remaining balance.

Do I have a case? Could I take this to small claims, or could this possibly be resolved by mediation? Thank you!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am a past Aflac employee who worked from May 2013 to September 2013. I had received a bill of $1,229.15 for my first year advanced pay on a premium that never got collected. The amount of $439.86 was paid to me, but the account never paid Aflac, so I received advanced payment on a premium that was never collected. I understand that I will have to pay that balance back, plus any other charges such as rent while I was employed there.

I turned in my resignation from being an Aflac insurance agent at the end of September. Once I received my bill, I saw that I was being charged for rent, and appt fees for the months of October 2013 until March 2014. I understand that I owe $704.86, for the advanced pay, and other charges while I was employed there, but I think it is unreasonable for me to be charged an additional $524.29 for rent for months that I was not even employed there. I have tried to get in contact with the office manager numerous times but he has not returned any of my emails or phone calls. I was advised by Amanda in Aflac accounting to have the $524.29 collected from the office. I have since sent Aflac a letter describing the above situation and have received no response from them, but have recently received a collections letter from them for the remaining balance.

Do I have a case? Could I take this to small claims, or could this possibly be resolved by mediation? Thank you!
Where you an actual employee...or a contractor?

LdiJ

Honestly I am not sure, but I would assume I was most likely an independent contractor.
Then you need to look at your contract to see what it says about rent and appt fees. Most likely there something spelled out there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">