• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i win this case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dameyers

Indiana
I cosigned a ring for a friend a couple years back and a couple months later her ex husband lost his job and i have been making payments ever since. Now i'm wondering if I could take him to small claims court and either have him pay me back everything i paid or just pay off the remaining balance on the ring?

justalayman

Him? as in the ex-husband? Since it appears you co-signed for your female friend, no, you have no action available against the ex-husband. Now, you would have an action against your friend but not her ex-husband.

dameyers

ok, what about since i'm paying on the ring and i don't actually have the ring. Im sorry for making this confusing but i did cosign for a friend and her now ex husband but he took back the ring and i'm still paying on it. can i take action that way?

Proserpina

ok, what about since i'm paying on the ring and i don't actually have the ring. Im sorry for making this confusing but i did cosign for a friend and her now ex husband but he took back the ring and i'm still paying on it. can i take action that way?

As jal said, you can take action against your female friend.

Betty

You can only take action against the person(s) you co-signed for - if only your friend, then she is the only one you can take action against.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">