• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an indigent sue another indigent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OneFriend78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington. Hi, I have a friend who lives in low-income housing who says she lent $3,000 to one of her neighbors. I don't know what form of government benefits she receives, so I don't even know if she is allowed to have that much money at one time without losing her check. She is down on her luck. She has been diagnosed with emphysema and might have lung cancer. She has a low-income apartment, a check, receives food stamps, and cannot drive or walk very much, so she hires taxis when she really needs to get out of the apartment. Is there anything at all she can do? If it's not at all possible for her to sue this other indigent in small claims court, then my best advice to her would be to spend her money wisely, because as of right now she still has her apartment, her bills are covered, and she gets enough food stamps to feed her.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington. Hi, I have a friend who lives in low-income housing who says she lent $3,000 to one of her neighbors. I don't know what form of government benefits she receives, so I don't even know if she is allowed to have that much money at one time without losing her check. She is down on her luck. She has been diagnosed with emphysema and might have lung cancer. She has a low-income apartment, a check, receives food stamps, and cannot drive or walk very much, so she hires taxis when she really needs to get out of the apartment. Is there anything at all she can do? If it's not at all possible for her to sue this other indigent in small claims court, then my best advice to her would be to spend her money wisely, because as of right now she still has her apartment, her bills are covered, and she gets enough food stamps to feed her.
She can sue, yes - but for what? If the other person is also indigent, there'll be no way to collect on a money judgment. It would be a waste of her time and money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If both are indigent, then what good would a judgment be if the person doesn't have the money to pay?

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington. Hi, I have a friend who lives in low-income housing who says she lent $3,000 to one of her neighbors. . . . . . She has a low-income apartment, a check, receives food stamps, etc., etc., . . . . If it's not possible for her to sue this other indigent in small claims court, then my best advice to her would be to spend her money wisely (?) . . . . .
Logically it would then seem to appear that if it is indeed "possible" to sue the other indigent in small claims court (which, btw, is remarkably possible) your advice to friend would be the reverse. That is, spend her money "unwisely"?!

(Exceptionally bored today are we?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">