• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the "landlord" collect for "rent" after a year has passed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xnocboi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I had a few questions, along with the title. I lived in Eugene, Oregon for about 2 years and had moved back to Houston, Texas for about a year now. I had just recently got a slip about me getting sued for unpaid expenses, boarding, and room. This is all being done through a small claims court. I'm being sued through Lane County Courts. I made no consent over any kind of rent, through living with this family. Can a lawyer represent me, since I'm unable to go to Oregon? If so, what forms would have to file? Can they actually collect rent even though a year has passed?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I had a few questions, along with the title. I lived in Eugene, Oregon for about 2 years and had moved back to Houston, Texas for about a year now. I had just recently got a slip about me getting sued for unpaid expenses, boarding, and room. This is all being done through a small claims court. I'm being sued through Lane County Courts. I made no consent over any kind of rent, through living with this family. Can a lawyer represent me, since I'm unable to go to Oregon? If so, what forms would have to file? Can they actually collect rent even though a year has passed?
If the person you lived with can establish that a contract existed for you to pay rent, then yes, they can sue you for any unpaid rent even though a year has passed.

Oregon courts do not generally allow attorney representation unless specifically requested and authorized by the court. And if you cannot appear in court, then you can probably expect a default judgment against you.

I suggest you figure out more about the case so that you know how to proceed further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">