• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex boyfriend/fiancé take my car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anmccree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My ex-boyfriend/fiance and I purchased a car together for me. We traded in my car and the title and loan was placed into both our names. He was primary because his credit was better. After two weeks he left me and now he is trying to take the car. I am making all payments on the car and have not been behind on a payment. Can he take the car?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My ex-boyfriend/fiance and I purchased a car together for me. We traded in my car and the title and loan was placed into both our names. He was primary because his credit was better. After two weeks he left me and now he is trying to take the car. I am making all payments on the car and have not been behind on a payment. Can he take the car?
How is the car titled (does it say you AND him or you OR him)?

sandyclaus

Then you are both legally entitled to possession of the vehicle.

BOTH names are on the title, and BOTH names are on the loan. Neither one of you have more rights than the other. And since the name AND appears on the registration/title, then it requires BOTH signatures on the title in order to transfer ownership (i.e., to sell the vehicle).

I suggest that the two of you figure out how to handle this together.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">